Monday, December 23, 2013

Pink Christmas

Just in time for Christmas, here are a couple holiday-appropriate images, one from a year ago and one which I just completed.  If you've been following this blog since the beginning or have seen my work on deviantART, then chances are that you may already be somewhat familiar with these unnamed characters, though it's been quite a while since I last focused my attentions on them.  In fact, the last time they graced my sketchpad was December of 2012, and it's difficult to say when I might have revisited them had I not been commissioned to do a new pic.

2012:

If you read Swiss Miss Sissy (and that's a big "if," considering how few people seemed to pay it any notice), you might observe that I ripped-off the "magic wand"line from that story, though it's paraphrased more than word for word.

2013:



I did manage to produce some art this year that I think I can feel proud of, but a few months went by in which I was not very productive at all.  I seem to fall into slumps on a pretty regular basis; being stressed out and depressed all the time doesn't help.  Still, doing this latest drawing, along with one or two other recent projects, has caused me to feel more motivated.  It's almost guaranteed that that feeling won't last, but I continue to hold out hope that by this time next year, I'll be able to feel a greater sense of accomplishment than in years past.


Happy Decemberween, everypeoples.

2 comments:

L.G. said...

It's always good to see your illustrations on this site, Dave. What is it they say, "a picture says more than a thousand words"? Having recently started to create a new strand to the tales of Jack, I find there are some situations where I wish I could produce an image or two. For example a picture of Jack, the "heroine" of Havisham Hall, arriving at the Hall in his peach bow blouse, taffeta pleated skirt, peach heels and a matching Alice band, to be met by the beautiful Annabelle in her immaculate parlourmaid's uniform, would be a stunning addition to the script.

Carrie P said...

Hi Dave
Thanks for another two excellent pieces. I particularly like the first one, the idea of the feminised male sitting obediently and submissively on the lap of the older woman is very erotic and leaves us in no doubt as to his position in the relationship, the look on his face when he realises what his present is wonderful.The naivety of the feminised male in the second one is charming, many of Bea’s characters have a similar innocence which leads them down the road to femininity.
Dave you’re being too hard on yourself- again. Your stuff is great and is consistently good, of course you’re going to get times when you’ll struggle to produce something I’m sure every artist goes through such periods. Imagination is an elusive animal and sometimes you have to wait until she wants you to find her. You always manage to come up with great stuff in the end.
Take care and all the best for the New Year.
Carrie